Led by Facebook and Twitter, time spent globally on social media sites was up 82% in 2009. Time spent by Americans increased by 210%. This from a social media study from the Nielsen Company.
Eye opening findings from the study include:
- Social networks and blogs are the most popular online category when ranked by average time spent.
- Americans spend more time on blogs and social networking sites with total minutes increasing 210% year-over-year and the average time per person increasing 143% year-over-year in December 2009.
- Facebook was the No. 1 global social networking destination.
- The time spent by users on Facebook has increased to six hours per month.
- The time spent by U.S. users, for both Facebook and Twitter.com, outpaced the overall growth for the category, increasing 200% and 368%, respectively.
- Among the top five U.S. social networking sites, Twitter continued as the fastest-growing in terms of unique visitors, increasing 579% year-over-year, from 2.7 million unique visitors in December 2008 to 18.1 million in December 2009.
Where Americans are spending their time is clearly depicted in the below graph.
And 45% of US law firms block the use of social media and social networking sites in the work place?