New legal tabloid an idea long overdue
If you haven’t seen it yet, you probably soon will. Above The Law, a legal tabloid, was launched this week by some folks who know what they are doing as to sensational blog publishing and creating a buzz. They are looking for juicy gossip and salacious rumors.
Above the Law has the opportunity to shake things up in a way never before seen in the legal industry. And if non-lawyers only knew half of how goofy some lawyers act, they would be amazed. Spreading a little gossip around would also keep lawyers on their toes.
The only thing that could hold them back is trying to publish multiple blogs at once. Trying to run a wall street tabloid, Dealbreaker.com, and a legal industry tabloid at the same time will be a challenge. Blogs that have really taken off such as TechCrunch and GigaOm have taken the total focus of one person busting their tail for a year plus.
Who’s on board at Above the Law and what’s their background?’
- Elizabeth Spiers, Publisher
- Publisher and Founder of Dead Horse Media, which produces DealBreaker.com, an online business tabloid and Wall Street gossip blog.
- Founding editor of gawker.com.
- Debut novel, And They All Die in the End, will be published by Riverhead/Penguin in 2007.
- Named one of Institutional Investor’s “30 Under 30” in 2006, one of Women’s Wear Daily’s “Ones to Watch” in October of 2004 and one of AlwaysOn/Technorati’s Open Media 100 in June of 2005.
- A contributing writer and editor at New York magazine, covering entertainment, media, and business.
- Previous editor of Wonkette.com
- Founded Underneath Their Robes, the judicial news and gossip website.
- Worked as a federal prosecutor, law firm associate, and federal appeals court clerk.
It’s going to take some big kahuna’s to publish those cease and desist letters and demands for retractions. But they be some of the best posts.