Jill Whalen, one of the leading authorities on search engine optimization, has a new ‘Top Ten SEO Starting Tips.’ I have a ton of respect for Jill. Her list is worth looking at.
SearchEngineWatch, my source for this post summarizes Jill’s list.
- Stick with an established domain, if you can
- Optimize for your audience, not search engines
- Research target terms extensively
- Design your site with target terms in mind
- Build a search engine friendly site
- Use descriptive links
- Create compelling copy keeping target terms in mind
- Incorporate target terms into your title tags (YES! Each page should have a unique title)
- Ensure your site is link-worthy
- Don’t fixate on ranking for one particular term
For a full discussion from Jill, read Jill’s full article.