As Julia says “search engines love content” and she gives you some excellent tips for writing content that results in high search engine rankings for your law blog – and that’s important, unless you don’t care if people can find you on the net. I’ll summarize some of her key points.
Lawyer blogs need good content for high rankings
Julia tells you why:
- Search engines will rank your site higher for keywords and keyphrases included within your content.
- Users will return to your site, and recommend it to others.
- Other sites will link to you, which will improve your linking popularity and make your site visible to the search engine spiders.
Lawyer blogs need content with keyword emphasis
1. Determine which keywords and phrases you want to target. Before writing anything decide which keywords and keyphrases are relevant to the topic being covered.
For law blogs, the name of the category in which you will archive the entry should provide a good clue. Generally the category name will be included in the title tag and the name of the category should include only keywords.
Also think of what people will be typing in the search engines when looking for content which you are about to write on. This will include the area covered by your blog and the particular post you are making.
2. Scatter your chosen keywords and phrases throughout your text. Assume one of the keyphrases you want to target is “bankruptcy exemptions.” You’ll want to weave this phrase throughout your blog post without making it look contrived.
Err on the sound of good writing and not saying ‘bankruptcy exemptions’ eighteen times in four paragraphs. In no case do you want the words in the phrase to account for more than about 5% of the total words on the page. Doing so could get you penalized by the search engines.
3. Review your headings, titles and hyperlinks. Use your keywords in headings, subtitles, page titles (title tags at top of page), bold face and hyperlinks, because these stand out to the search engines.
One of the easiest ways to do this is to use some headers breaking up the content into brief sections. This makes content easier to read on the net and keywords in headers tell the search engines what you are writing about.
Generally, blog style sheets will recognize the
html tag as an appropriate tag for headers in the post. For example, the above heading this entry ‘Law blogs need content with keyword emphasis’ was inserted between
Thanks Julia for a great article about the importance of content and how to use keywords for search engine optimization.