Just as Facebook and LinkedIn offer custom URL’s for profile pages, Google+ is now doing the same.
I was able to claim mine this evening – http://plus.google.com/+KevinOKeefe.
The only requirements to get a custom URL are:
- Profile photo
- At least 10 followers
- Your account must be at least 30 days old
If you meet these requirements, you will be see a “Get a custom URL” link on your Google+ ‘About Page.’ It will be in the area where your links to other social media links are listed. The option is expanding this week if you don’t see it.
Why get a custom URL?
- We don’t know how big Google+ is going to be. I didn’t much think of having a gmail address years ago, except to to think was cool. I am sure glad I have one today.
- As Google+ grows, a URL in your own name will appear more polished and professional. Especially if using on email sig lines and the like.
- Search and influence are dictated somewhat by the text in a URL.
- Your Google+ profile may become your profile page of record overtime. In which case, you’ll want a vanity URL in your name.
Use your own name too. A pseudonym, such as LADivorceLawyer, only makes you look cheesy and crass. A lawyer is known by and builds a reputation by their name.