From ReadWriteWeb comes word of a new report from Universal McCann, a top 10 global media company, that social media, in particular blogs, are “becoming a more important part of global media consumption for internet users than some traditional media channels.”
Key findings from the survey of 17,000 Internet users worldwide:
- 83% watch video clips, up from 62% in the last study in June 2007
- 78% read blogs, up from 66%
- 57% of internet users are now members of a social network
- RSS consumption is growing rapidly up from 15% to 39%
- Podcasts are now mainstream digital content, listened to by 48%
Sounds amazing that the more people could rely on blogs as a media source than newspapers, magazines, radio, and TV. But maybe not with the Internet being the top source of news for 50% of Americans.