Jane Susskind, Community Manager at IVN (@JaneSusskind), shared some interesting facts last week on the state of social media. If you haven’t seen the statistics, I’d suggest sharing them with others at your law firm.
- Twitter continues to grab new customers. 53% of Twitter users have been a member for less than a year, compared to just 19% for Facebook.
- The fastest growing segment in social media is 45-54 year olds. 55% of Americans 45-54 now has a profile on a social networking site and 30% of Americans 55 and above are in the social networking game.
- 22% use social networking sites several times per day. In the past year 12 million more Americans are using social networking multiple times daily.
- Users that follow brands on social media increased 106%. From 2010 to 2012 the percentage of Americans following any brand on a social network has increased from 16% to 33%.
- 54% of Facebook users access via mobile. 54% have used the social network via phone, and 33% use a phone as their primary way to access Facebook.
- Facebook is the most addicting social network. 23% of Facebook’s users check their account 5 or more times daily. The mean number of daily look-ins by Facebook users is 4.
- Facebook has greatest impact on purchase behavior at 47%. Last year, 68% of Americans using social networks said that none of those networks had an influence on their buying decisions. This year only 36% said that there was no influence. Now 47% say Facebook has the greatest impact on purchase behavior (up from 24% in 2011)
- People don’t “check-in.” 74% of Americans are unfamiliar with the concept of check in to a location via mobile device, and only 3% have ever checked-in. This is a drop off from 2011 where 4% of those surveyed had checked in.
- 76% on Twitter post status updates. In 2010, the Social Habit research found that just 47% of Twitter users actually sent tweets, with more than half the user base in listen-only mode. The overwhelming majority of new Twitter users are active tweeters, driving the overall average to 76%.
Here’s an infographic from Arraenetwork depicting the same information.